Monday, May 16, 2011

Ndege


I was in my room reading, with my new cat friend on my lap, when I heard a symphony of birds outside.  One very attention-hungry bird was omitting a shrieking call that could wake the dead.  I assumed it was one of the pied crows I had seen looming lately, but I was surprised to find that it was merely a red-winged starling conducting atop the banda, and its call had summoned droves of birds: eight species were nestled in the acacia tree across from my doorstep.  The cat and I ventured out to inspect, camera in hand.  The birds were so mesmerized by the call, that they permitted me (and the cat) to nestle within the very tree they were sitting, transfixed.  The result - some great photos of several species of birds, including superb starling, hildebrandt's starling, blue-eared starling, arrow-marked babbler, white browed sparrow-weaver, grey-capped social weaver, and the white-bellied go-away-bird. I have never before been able to snap a clear picture of one of those bashful (yet raucous) white-bellied turacos! I did a little dance afterwards :) 






















The co-star

4 comments:

  1. Wow! And what camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Cannon rebel xti. Here I used my 300mm lens which I bought specifically for getting decent shots of monkeys - works great for birds as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, the pictures of the birds and your description of the encounter was wonderful....now I could like to see a picure of the cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I just so happened to have a picture of the cat on that eventful day :) We have recently designated her as "Cali".

    ReplyDelete