Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Unusual Driving Lesson

The property manager here is a Kikuyu tribal man named Charles. He lives here on the grounds most of the year and acts as a groundskeeper, a carpenter, an engineer, an electrician, as well as many other things. The other day he acted as my driving instructor, teaching me how to drive stick. We went out for my third lesson in the ancient Land Rover from either the 60s or 70s (nobody appears to be sure on the vehicle’s age considering that it is older then everyone here). This red Land Rover is the most capable vehicle for traversing the rough terrain that surrounds the property and probably will closely resemble any car we end up purchasing.    
            We drove out and circumnavigated most of the property, practicing various shifting techniques and gear switching situations. Overall I had a much better outing then my second lesson, which went deplorably.  The interesting part of the venture occurred when circling around and returning back home. We were kicking up dust while rolling along the dirt roads, when Charles alerted me that there were some elephants nearby and that I should not stall the car. While I was concentrating on my driving I spotted several elephants in my periphery, some no further then ten feet from the Land Rover. Charles continued to remind me not to stall, as his voice elevated with concern. We continued to trot along, and one particularly large-tusked beast stood on the path in front of us. Charles reminded me to not stop for any reason. The elephant turned from us and began to sprint down the road as we tailed behind him about twenty feet back. After a minute or so the enormous animal made a sharp turn and darted into the bush. We were through the gang of elephants and on our way to our houses. Normally when we see groups of elephants, there are about six to eight of them, no more then ten. Charles went on to tell me that there were about fifty or more, and we drove right through the heart of them. He also told me that if I were to have stalled the vehicle and the noise of the engine were to cut out, the elephants would have charged the vehicle and knocked it over. All I could do was nervously laugh.

Bennett

1 comment:

  1. This posting was VERY interesting....you're not in Kansas....

    ReplyDelete